Monday, February 11, 2008

many thanks

I really want to thank everyone for the comments, emails, phone calls and offers to help. Just knowing that you are here is so amazing. Writing the previous post was very cathartic - I really felt better just to get it out there and out of my mind and heart. And so many of you made me laugh, and I really needed to laugh. A family member commented that my posts are usually so upbeat and this was so unlike me. I am a positive person by nature. It is as much a part of me as my nose. But sometimes things are tough. I do not want someone reading this blog, following our story to get a false idea of what it is like to adopt and parent a toddler. It is not easy. Would I change a thing? Not in a million years. It is as fiercely amazing as it is difficult. My kids are wonderful. We get compliments on them everywhere they go - from their behavior to their intellect to their sense of style. But they are kids. They make messes and talk back and cry (oh how Sam cries....) and make me want to pull my hair out. I sometimes find that my jaw hurts, and I realize it is from gritting my teeth. I visited a blog tonight and this mom was honest about an encounter she had with her daughter that she felt weary about. Most moms have felt this way one time or another. And if you haven't, you probably aren't being honest with yourself. I do not want to parent Emma and Sam differently than I did my 3 older boys just because they are adopted. I love each of my children deeply. Do I take into consideration their life experiences when I react to them? Sure I do. When Sam was having those tremendous tantrums recently, I really thought about the 2 major life changes - adoption and surgery - this little creature had endured (and endured well, I might add) in the last 6 months of his life and who knows how many others in the past 2 years. Was is still frustrating? Absolutely!!! Talking to friends and sharing with other moms is so helpful. Your advice, support and listening was really what I needed to get over my slump. I am back to feeling good, laughing and enjoying my children. I have a good life.

3 Comments:

At 1:27 PM , Blogger Becky said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Hugs to you my friend!

Becky

Is it August yet???

 
At 5:54 PM , Blogger crazylady said...

Uh, yeah, the other perfect parents are lying.
I am with you 100%. No shame in being human.
Well, that's kinda my thing... not being perfect. I can package and market that sucker, that's fo' shizzle!

 
At 4:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie,

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I'm thrilled to hear the medicine is working. I can't wait to see Sam and the rest of the crew.

Starla

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home