Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sam is HOME! (Finally!)



We went into this surgery knowing that Sam would need to stay one night in the hospital, but Mommy was so not prepared for that one night to turn into three!! Honestly, once I got used to the idea that he was not coming home on Thursday, I was relieved that he was able to stay and get the pain management and care that he needed. He was having trouble eating and he was holding saliva in his mouth because it hurt too bad to swallow it. He rattled and snuffled in his sleep and could only sleep between 15-45 minutes at a time. Russ and I had decided before hand that he would stay with Sam at the hospital the whole time and that I would be there for as much time as possible, but that I would take care of the other kids since I know their schedules, get them ready for school, etc... All that "Mom" stuff that is too hard to explain to anyone else. When I went to spend the day with him on Thursday he was still groggy and in a lot of pain. He was happy to see me though and moved around in his bed for the first time since the surgery. I left at carpool time to pick up the boys, Emma and my mom and dad to go back up to the hospital for the evening. He lit up when he saw everyone and seemed to feel so much more at ease. I cannot imagine what was going through his little mind. This huge experience so soon after leaving China. You could see the concern in his eyes. He was so funny trying to "explain" to me what happened to him. He would make all sorts of grunting sounds and then point at his lip to show me. By Friday when I was up at the hospital, I could see a significant difference and my sweet, lively little Sam was coming back to me. I was so encouraged to see him starting to get back to his old self. He still wasn't eating much and was still "gurgling." I guess I should explain all that was done during his surgery. The ENT put tubes in his ears and performed a frenulectomy (correcting his tied tongue), the craniofacial surgeon revised the scar on his lip by lengthening it to allow for growth (the scar had started to pull his lip up and his nose down because although Sam is growing, the scar is not), reshaped his nostril, closed the palate and created a muscle pad in the back of his mouth using muscle that was already there (causing his difficulty in swallowing food and saliva), and the dentist placed a protective stint (like a clear retainer) that covers his teeth and palate, but did not have to extract any teeth like he originally thought he might. In fact he told us that Sam's teeth look great! They may be in funny locations all around his mouth (he even has one that is completely sideways), but they are all extremely clean and healthy. Dr. Williams came in this morning and discharged Sam just in time for him to get home as the first snowflakes started to fall. We rarely get snow and for it to happen so much during this time in our life was a little unnerving, but we were really able to enjoy it today. We played outside while Sam was napping (i.e. knocked out from the pain meds) so I am hoping it will still be snowy tomorrow so that he can experience his first snow. The forecast says it should get down to 17 degrees tonight. We are not really used to those temperatures! We are all so glad to have him home. The boys all made signs to post around the house welcoming him home and when he walked in the door, Sam ran up and gave everyone a hug! It was so sweet, and he was so happy to be back at home. He has been a happy little guy today. We love him so much and are so glad that this is behind us! Thank you so much for your prayers, emails,..... They have meant so much!

11 Comments:

At 1:13 AM , Blogger Sam said...

Julie,
I'm so glad things are better! Poor little Sam! It hurts so much when our babies are hurting!!! Hang in there and get some rest!
Sam

 
At 6:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie,

I'm so glad Sam is doing so well. Claire is still not too fond of the weather here in Ohio. We are
-5 here today. I'll e-mail again with my new address. I'm so happy he is home and happy.

Starla

 
At 7:00 PM , Blogger Out Numbered! said...

glad to see everyone is at home now.

Jennifer Hardin

 
At 8:42 PM , Blogger LaLa said...

Glad you are finally home. Hugs to all of you and especially that sweet boy!

I got your comment...I may email you later about apraxia: )

 
At 11:22 PM , Blogger my3 kids said...

Julie, we are so happy to hear that Sam is home and feeling better. It's hard to see our kids this way but soon he will be back to his old self. Hang in there girl and sending you a warm hug!

 
At 7:27 AM , Blogger Shelly and Family said...

Hi Julie...I am so happy to hear that Sam is doing well..It is so hard when we as mothers know our children are in pain and can't really do anything about it. (we have been there too with Francesca)

Anyway, I hope that Sam got to enjoy some time out in the snow. It is really cold here in northeastern PA and I am wishing we were some where south, but if it is cold down there too...I'll stay put in my warm home...

We'll still be praying for Sam and your family...

 
At 8:42 AM , Blogger Becky said...

Julie,

I am so glad Sam is home and feeling better. I am praying he continues to improve daily.

Love,
Becky

 
At 11:33 AM , Blogger the mommy said...

Julie it is so good to hear that Sam is doing well. We are sure it was stressful for you and for him. Glad to hear he is home and getting back to his spunky self..

Big Hugs to you all
Susan and Riz

 
At 11:57 AM , Blogger Just Us Girls said...

I am so glad to hear Sam is back home and doing well!!! What a trooper!

Carrie

 
At 2:03 PM , Blogger Michele said...

Julie,
Thrilled to see that Sam is home, safe and sound. Hope his recovery continues to be good and that he can return to his normal self (and normal kid activities) soon! You'll all be in my thoughts!

Michele
Chongyang Mom

 
At 5:46 PM , Blogger crazylady said...

I can't believe all the things you describe that the wee one had done. My lord. What a story.
I have great catch up here...
There is nothing worse than having a child(ren) both IN and OUT of the hospital at the same time. I remember feeling guilty all the time, no matter who I was with.
Glad to hear the good outcome with Sammy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home